The alleged victim, Saiful Bukhari, was his special assistant during the March 08 elections. Pulling him aside, Anwar plotted with him: i want you to accuse me of sodomy soon after the elections are over, but before i intend to grab control of the Government.
The young, silly, impressionable pawn, readily agrees.
Everything then tumbles in Anwar's favour.
1. No Malaysian is his right mind (well no voting Malaysian, which is more precise and more important), would believe a second sodomy allegation. This is exactly what Anwar is counting on.
2. Such a obviously "false" allegation, must be orchestrated by the evil Government (who, really, can't be so moronic to come with this plan themselves -- its like taking a shotgun, putting it in their mouths, and pulling the trigger themselves). Down with the Evil Regime! Oops, i mean BN.
3. Get the sympathy of the international community. Turkey is giving Anwar "refuge" now. Countless other nations must also have offered help. Nothing stirs the shit pot of international affairs faster than a "political victim" being unfairly persecuted by the Evil Regime [insert any name of any bad boy government of any 3rd world country].
4. Push the envelope -- claim death threats too. Perhaps get a booby bonus prize if someone actually is dumb enough to try. For extra credit (if no one does make such a silly attempt), brainwash another young impressionable boy to make a lunge at him with a dagger in public. See the Evil Regime strikes again! (cue roll drums of war).
5. Rattle the cages of the rooks, knights and bishops of Parliament. The people love me now (because the Evil Regime has once again been stupid enough to accuse me of sodomy); come on over to my side, defect, and be part of the winning team. Help get rid of the Evil Regime and the people will love you too! (this is an awesome sales pitch, if you think about it).
Anwar is no fool. He has everything to gain, and nothing to lose from orchestrating a false allegation, especially for something as absurd as sodomy.
Give this whole thing a thought, people. This is Malaysian politics we're talking about. This is Anwar Ibrahim, Dr M's right hand man for so many years. Nothing is what it seems.