Everyone is asleep, finally getting a chance to explore my new iPhone 3GS. Picked it up today from the Maxis Centre after work. Lets hit a quick rundown:
- Getting an email AND sms from Maxis informing me that my iPhone was ready for collection today.
- The Maxis staff -- more than half the people there today were picking up their iPhones, and it was obvious from the moment i walked in that the staff were under tremendous pressure from their customers. Its a credit to their training and energy that even right to the very end (i was one of the last customers they served before closing up), they still kept a smile on their face and even managed to crack some jokes and share a laugh with me.
- Being able to reduce the price of my iPhone further from RM1990 to RM1590; downgraded my plan even further after i realized i didn't need something so expensive
- Actually getting the iPhone in my hands -- its a real beauty, exactly as advertised. Initial playtesting shows, yes, it is just that good.
- Holy crap me, the traffic congestion around the Maxis Centre, the crowd was huge.
- Getting #974, and having to wait nearly 90 minutes before it was my turn to speak to the rep for my phone.
- The really, really annoying customers who had not pre-ordered the phone, and expected to be given one today just because they want one and have the cash to pay for it. Stock of the iPhones are extremely limited, and the initial batch Maxis ordered just covers pre-orders, nearly no extras -- not any fault of Maxis apparently, there is a universal shortage of available iPhones.Not only were they rude to the Maxis staff, but they took up valuable time as well from genuine customers (like me) who would be able to receive their phones today.
- Stupid Malaysians who don't understand the concept of "TAKE A FUCKING NUMBER". At least twice, i witnessed customers just cutting in when a rep was free and their number was not called yet. The rep actually didn't turn them away, and this led to a longer wait time for other customers who had the courtesy to wait in line.
- Technologically brain-dead iPhone users -- Maxis setup a phone clinic by the side, specifically to assist customers to initialize and prep their new iPhone for the first time. This counter soon became congested as customers took forever to understand simple messages such as, "NO, SIR. YOUR SMS FROM YOUR OLD PHONE CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED TO THE IPHONE."
- Massive mis-coordination between Maxis and the retail Apple centres such as eMachines. Customers are supposed to pick up the iPhone from the retail centres they ordered the phone from, however, delays in the stock arriving to them have led to irate customers who were promised their phones today. To appease them, the retail centres have asked them to go to Maxis Centres to get their phones. Big Mistake. The Maxis Centres only have the phones that were pre-ordered from them. This led to several angry customers, and some silly dramas ensued.
Oh well. From what i saw, i feel sorry for the Maxis staff who will have to go through it all again tomorrow. It promises to be worse with the weekend crowd in attendance.
Its interesting that a small little gadget can bring the best (Maxis staff) and worse (misbehaving customers) out of people.
As for me, i'm taking my time to learn about my new toy from a library of online tutorials provided by Apple.